Email me if you would like a notification whenever I post to the blog. Please tell me a bit about why you are reading, too!

New Here? Read the blog from the beginning (it's worth it!). Start in the July 2005 archive.

The dates in the posts are when things actually happened. Since I had no Internet in Basic, I'm entering my blog now.

Friday, August 05, 2005

How to pass the AFAST

This posting is dedicated to helping future Army pilots (including Army Reserve and National Guard) pass the qualifying test, known as the AFAST. If you're not thinking of climbing behind the controls of an Apache or Blackhawk, you may want to skip this post.

When I first learned I had to take (and get a good score on) the AFAST, I began looking around for whatever hints and material I could find to help me prepare. There was not very much useful information out there, so I thought I would post my experience to help you prepare for your AFAST.

The most important first step is to purchase a study guide. I looked at all of the ones available and found the Arco guide to be by far the best:



All of the other Army Aviator applicants I spoke with selected the same guide.

Also be sure and review DA Pamphlet 611-256-2. It covers basically the same things that the study guide does, but in less detail. You must confirm that you have had adequate time to review it before you may take the AFAST. It is available here online.

There are a few things you should know when studying. First of all, there is a section called Complex Movements. The idea is that two dots are separated by 0, 1, 2, or 3 units both left/right and up/down. The study guide says that you should figure out how far to move the small dot to the big dot (or circle), and then use the legend printed at the top of the test page to indicate your answer. Do not use the legend! You only have 5 minutes to answer 30 questions. If you use the legend, you will only get about half-way through. Memorize the legend symbols. That is the only way to finish all questions in this section.

There is also a section called Instrument Comprehension. They show you a picture of an attitude indicator and a compass, and then 5 different aircraft. You need to select the one aircraft that is flying as indicated by the instruments. In the study guide, I had a hard time selecting the correct one because the guide reproduces terrible photos of old F86 aircraft. It is often hard to know what you are looking at. On the actual test that I took, the aircraft were cleanly drawn F16's and much easier to recognize than the pictures in the study guide.

The section of the test that covers Mechanical Comprehension is similar to the mechanical knowledge section on the ASVAB. I suggest getting out your ASVAB study guide and reviewing the sections that deal with mechanical systems (pulleys, levers, etc.)

Everything I came across in the section on Helicopter Knowledge was covered in the FAA publication Rotorcraft Flying Handbook. It is available free online from the FAA, or if you prefer to study from a hard copy you can purchase it:



Finally, remember to bring proper documentation to the test. It seems like something that anyone who thinks they have the stuff to become a Warrant Officer should know to do without being told. However, when I tested, 2 of 5 testees did not have the proper paperwork on them. You need the Request for Examination form and proof of your social security number (driver's license with social security card, or a military ID). Be sure that your ID is current! Outdated ID cannot be used to authenticate yourself. One testee had his military dependent's card confiscated because it was out-of-date. Finally, you may need additional documentation. One applicant was attempting to transfer from the USMC. Apparently one needs a letter from the Commandant of the Marine Corps, which he did not have on him. In short, if you don't know for sure what you need to bring, ask. No matter what, bring proof of your social security number.

Good luck!

6 Comments:

At 4:20 AM, Blogger Cab said...

Really helpful information. Thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

FAA handbook has been moved to http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21.pdf

Upon taking the AFAST I found most Helo knowledge questions pertained to Helo controls and purposes as well as general knowledge of flight and theory.

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Collin said...

hey thanks for the tips but i was wondering if you had any boat questions on yours . . regarding current and other boat knowledge . . . thanks again

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Sharaly said...

I really appreciate all of your info. I'm a female trying to get into the warrant officer program with next to no experience in helicopter physics. I have been doing some pretty intensive studying but I need to get a 120. What I am really wondering is if you had any idea on what percentage of questions one can miss while still passing with a 90 or what percentage of people pass/fail. Basically I am trying to judge how confident I am against others. Any info you can help me with would be a huge help! Thanks again for taking the time to post!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Leftheavy said...

There has been an update to the FAA Handbook. They have a new helecopter specific manual out:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-21A.pdf

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I was really lost on what to study before, but this helped me so much

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

[banner exchange]

Click Here!


BuildTrafficX.com - 2,500 Free Credits - Just For Signing Up!
Technorati Profile