Email me if you would like a notification whenever I post to the blog. Please tell me a bit about why you are reading, too!

New Here? Read the blog from the beginning (it's worth it!). Start in the July 2005 archive.

The dates in the posts are when things actually happened. Since I had no Internet in Basic, I'm entering my blog now.

Friday, September 02, 2005

Gas, Gas, Gas!

Usually when our platoon talks about a gas attack, we are referring to Private Garcia and his perpencity to break wind. Today, things are very different. Today we enter The Chamber. We have received training in the use of our Promask (Protective Mask), and today put that skill to the test. Even if we execute perfectly, though we still must breathe in CS (tear gas)...before exiting the chamber, a DS ensures you open your eyes and breathe in the stuff.

We entered The Chamber in groups of 20. While waiting our turn, we traded both useful information and wild rumors about what to expect. One Private was convinced that you have to throw away the underwear you wear into The Chamber. Someone else claimed that if you wash your clothes and then put them in the dryer, that CS will be released and turn the laundry room into a gas chamber. The latter rumor turned out to be true!

Upon entering The Chamber, mask donned, I observed it to be about 30' on a side, dimly lit, and foggy. The fog was coming out of a coffee can - the source of CS gas. Immediately I felt....nothing. Within a few seconds, a hot, prickly sensation spread out over my neck, arms, and legs. It felt like having extra, extra, extra strength BenGay all over my body. Some people hated it, but it really wasn't too bad. After a while, a DS came by, had me life my mask, and recite my name, rank, and social security number. Then I put my mask back on, clear out the CS, and breathe normally again. Some people did not understand how to clear their mask, and had a horrible time while the DS talked/assisted them through it. For me it was easy - likely due to my diving experience. Up to this point, The Chamber was no problem. To exit, though, we had to open our eyes wide and shout "Undertakers!" (our platoon name) at the top of our lungs. I did so, and still had some breath left to hold. Unfortunately, DS Annoyed noticed and shouted at the top of his lungs "Breathe!". Eventually I had to, and it was.....horrible! If felt very much like breathing water into your lungs....except that there is nothing to cough out. After a LONG while (actually just 15 seconds), the finally let us out.

Running out of The Chamber, I felt fresh air begin to relieve the stinging on my skin. My lungs, though, didn't improve a bit. I still felt like a fish out of water. My eyes continued to burn, but that was nothing compared to the feeling of suffocation. After about 10 attempted breaths, my lungs slowly returned to normal. Then, I had time to focus on the fact that my eyes did sting quite a bit after all. It hurts to open them, exposing them to light, but letting in the air is the only way to get rid of the CS. Finally, after my eyes began to recover, I recalled what they said about CS being the best nasal decongestant known to man....and experienced it full-force. All in all, my visit to The Chamber went well. Some people panicked and tried to run out (they were stopped by a DS), while others simply could not follow directions.....and had to go through again. I'm glad - after the fact - to have made the experience, but do not care to repeat it anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[banner exchange]

Click Here!


BuildTrafficX.com - 2,500 Free Credits - Just For Signing Up!
Technorati Profile