Email me if you would like a notification whenever I post to the blog. Please tell me a bit about why you are reading, too!

New Here? Read the blog from the beginning (it's worth it!). Start in the July 2005 archive.

The dates in the posts are when things actually happened. Since I had no Internet in Basic, I'm entering my blog now.

Monday, August 29, 2005

Land Nav

Today we got to try our hand at land navigation or land nav for short. That involves measuring a map to see the distance and direction you need to travel, then using a compass figure out the direction you need to travel. Then you start moving. To know how far you have travelled, you count your steps. Before starting out, you count how many steps you have to take to travel 100 meters. After learning the theory, they turned us loose in the woods. Many people were lost, but I had already learned and practiced the skill with Civil Air Patrol (Search and Rescue). The best part was when they sent us out at night to try our hand in near-total-darkness. We had a lot of fun and we were finished in time to "ambush" some of the other groups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

[banner exchange]

Click Here!


BuildTrafficX.com - 2,500 Free Credits - Just For Signing Up!
Technorati Profile